Teaching Project Guidelines
· Purpose: The purpose of the patient/family teaching project is to develop and implement a teaching plan for a geriatric patient utilizing teaching learning principles.
· Objectives: By the conclusion of the presentation, the students will be able to:
· State the various indications for a specified diet
· Explain the scientific rationale for a prescribed diet
· Describe food/fluid restrictions appropriate for diet or food/fluids encouraged to meet nutritional needs?
· Describe how to present a short nutritional teaching plan to a patient& family with cultural differences.
· Apply current research related to the nutrition topic.
· Utilize teaching experience rubric for essential criteria.
· The paper should be between 3-5 pages (not including title page and references).
· The paper must be typed and conform to APA format.
· A minimum of two references are required.
· Written paper is due during the 7th week on the assigned clinical day.
The student will be assigned one therapeutic diet from the following list.
1. Diabetic diet
2. Fat restricted and cholesterol restricted
3. Enteral nutrition
4. Sodium restricted
5. Total parental nutrition
6. Modified fiber and bland diets
7. Full and clear liquid diets
8. Nutrition in wasting diseases
9. Modified calcium and potassium diets
10. Dysphagic diet
11. Protein restricted diet
12. Anticoagulant diet
Follow the teaching/nutrition project evaluation tool criteria.